Lions Club of Newcastle
During the month of September, Lions Club world wide are promoting one of their five global causes, namely Childhood cancer . In working alongside staff from Daisy Lodge, Newcastle Lions are making a big effort to try to promote, this global cause. This will include a coffee morning, a talk show and a Daisy Dander. Staff from Daisy Lodge, have also provided information packs to local businesses and highlighted the awareness month through the big electronic board at Bon Bon.
In trying to help families of children impacted by Cancer, they can avail of a wonderful facility in Newcastle to give them some respite. Originally this facility was known as Shimna Valley and in 2005 Narnia, but this was enhanced with greater numbers of families being accommodated, when Daisy Lodge was built. This is a purpose built therapeutic centre located in Newcastle.
The Lions Club of Newcastle, County Down is a non-religious and non-political charity made up of ordinary men and women.
We are under the affiliation of Lions Club International which is one of the largest charities in the world.
Every penny we collect is given to charities.
If you have an hour to spare and help our community why not think about joining us.
We raise funds for worthy causes and individuals.
We organise service activities to assist people in our community.
- Maintain 10 defibrillators in Newcastle area,
- Collect & recylcle spectacles, bikes, sewing machines, & tools for Africa.
- Collect for the Pantry Foodbank.
We have different activities each year.
- The Daisy Dander in support of Daisy Lodge.
- Monthly coffee mornings.
- We organize Pub Quizes and street collections for various causes.
We assist and support different schools, groups, individuals, and charities each year local and international.
- Our local senior schools take part in an annual Peace Poster competition.
- Spectacles recycling supported by local opticians and councils.
Preloved spectacles can be left in the Library and local opticians.
We need your help to help others.
- A 2 hour commitment each month will make a difference.
- We meet once a month in the Burrendale Hotel at 7.30pm on 2nd Tuesday of the month.
- Where there's a need there's a Lion.